Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Experiment #3

One of the (many) reasons why I am really enjoying Pinterest is that just before each holiday, the site is full of creative ideas for showing off your holiday spirit.
I do feel that Valentine's Day is simply a Hallmark holiday and doesn't require going overboard BUT I do like to spread a little love (or baking as the case might be) every year. I usually bake and decorate sugar cookies but this year 2 things on Pinterest caught my eye and I decided to make them instead.

The first is Strawberry Heart Oreos

After reading the recipe, I made my grocery list and set off to the store. PROBLEM. After searching 3 stores, I couldn't find Strawberry Cake Mixes (another one of the products that is apparently only available in the US). SOLUTION: Cherry Chip Cake Mix and 1/2 a package of Strawberry Kool-Aid crystals.
When I got to baking, I realized that the recipe was very similar to the one I have used for years so I decided to use my own since it used significantly less fat.
You can see my recipe here:


PINTEREST PICTURE:

MY RESULT:

 
VERDICT:
These were a HIT! I would have never thought of this on my own. I can't wait to adapt these for more holidays and parties.


Secondly I made Valentine Chex Mix

It's maddening when nothing goes according to plan. In addition to not finding strawberry cake mix I couldn't find Valentine M&M's anywhere. After searching 6 stores, it turns out that there were discontinued in Canada and I had to substitute Smarties instead. BOO, M&M's are so much better. This also meant that the batch I made for Erin didn't have any chocolate in it at all since Smarties are not gluten free.

PINTEREST PICTURE:
Pinned Image

MY RESULT:
(not the greatest picture)

 
VERDICT:
YUM!! I can't wait to make again (hopefully with M&M's).


No comments:

Post a Comment